Thursday, June 5, 2008

Trader Joe's Rice

I love rice, well I guess I should revise that. I have never liked white rice but love the nutty flavor of brown rice. Wild rice is also a favorite so I usually mix them when I make it.

The other day at Trader Joe’s I noticed a bag of “Brown Rice Medley”-a delicious blend of long grain brown rice, black barley, and daikon radish seeds. That sounded good so I decided to try it. That turned out to be a good idea, Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley is so good I ate it plain without any type of topping on it. I always put some “Better Than Bouillon” chicken base in the water when I make rice for flavor and that was absolutely all it needed. This rice blend is absolutely fantastic. It has great flavor and a little crunch.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Because it is mostly brown rice and you have to cook it a long time, making the whole bag at once makes a lot of sense. In the long run it saves a lot of time because you can freeze it. It can be thawed by soaking it in hot water for about 5 minutes. The yield is about 7 cups.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Fortunately I have that handy little kitchen gadget called a “FoodSaver” that I use to bag up cup size portions. Having this rice in your freezer in these cup size portions is a great time saver!!

Mary


FoodSaver.com

No comments: