Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mueller - Thurgau

Most of my friends are aware that I started drinking wine about 4 years ago. Previous to that I never drank it. By listening to a "time share" pitch, we were given a case of wine. Since I hate to either waste or throw anything away, I, of course, drank it. By the time I got done with that case of wine, I kind of liked it. So since then I enjoy wine tasting whenever it comes up and I have been known to buy a bottle or two, or do I mean a case??

Recently we were in Northern California along HWY 101. HWY 101 leads to Oregon and the beautiful Oregon Coast. We found ourselves in Gold Beach, Oregon on a nice Saturday in May and came across the 21st Art, Seafood, and Wine Festifal. Well---lead me too it!! The $10 admission fee included a very pretty wine glass----wonder what I should do with that??

One of the wine vender's had Mueller-Thurgau wine for tasting. Now I have never even heard of Mueller-Thurgau wine before, but when the lady said it was a Riesling blend, I decided to try it. I am so glad I did. It is a smooth, medium sweet white wine and I love the taste.

The Muller-Thurgau grape was created by Hermann Muller from the Swiss Canton of Thurgau in 1882. Vineyards in Germany, Austria, Northern Italy, England, Australia, and New Zealand make white wine with these grapes. Oh I guess I should include Oregon in that list. I understand it is also called Rivaner or Riesling x Sylvaner.

The vineyard I purchased this wine from was Abiqua Wind near Silverton, Oregon. It is called Chloe's Breeze and touted as a "refreshing summer sipper, an aperitif or easily pair it with a wide range of cuisines, from light salads and pastas to zesty dishes".

This wine has a really nice flavor that I totally love. It is one I will definately buy again!!

Mary


No comments: