Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tofu

Like millions of other Americans, I have weight issues...so I routinely look for a vegetarian main dish to make on occasion. So what am I going to do with these ingredients?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am going to try a new main dish: "Seared Tofu with Garlic, Swiss Chard, and Pine Nuts". I got that beautiful Swiss chard at the Farmer's Market on Tuesday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Step one is to toast the pine nuts until they are golden brown.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Step two is to coat firm tofu in soy sauce and pepper, and sear in olive oil until golden about 2 minutes on each side. I used lemon infused olive oil to give it a little more flavor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Next step is to saute the garlic about two minutes, add the chard and cook until it is wilted. That takes about 30 seconds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is what the finished dish lookes like, fried tofu on a bed of Swiss chard topped with pine nuts!! And it was really tasty!!

Here is the complete ingredient list. I got this recipe from the Weight Watcher's website.

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces firm tofu, drained, and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
6 Cups Swiss Chard






No comments: